Table Of Contents
1. Meaning Of Government
2. Importance Of Government
3. Functions Of Government
Meaning Of Government
Government has so many definitions. Government has definition as an institution of state, as an academic field of study and as a process or art of governing.
1. Government As Institution Of The State
This can be defined as a machinery through which the will of the state is formulated expressed and attained. It is established group of people who make and enforce law in the state.
2. Government As An Academic Field Of Study
This is the study of agencies in political institutions and international organisation in which the state has membership with. It is regarded as a discipline.
3. Government As An Art Of Governing
This means the process of administratorship and implementing laid down rules and regulations in a department, ministry or company. It is through government and agencies that rules and regulation are made, carried out and enforced for the good government of the state.
Generally, Government can be defined as the people and group with a society with the authority to make, carryout and enforce laws and manages dispute to protect its citizens. It is created by the state.
Importance Of Government
1. Government prepares us to take active part in the affairs and policies of the state.
2. Through the study of government, we know our right, duties and obligation as citizens.
3. It equips the interested in politics to be professional politicians and help citizens to be liberated from political ignorance.
4. It also help citizens to be in positions to defined their fundamental human right when violated as well as inculcate the spirit of patriotism in them.
5. The study helps to improve balanced logical minds, in decision making which helps in arriving at a decision.
Features Of Government
Government has the following features:
1. Political Power: The government posses political power which enables it to execute its policies and make laws which the citizen obeys. The government also has a team of qualifies work force who carry out its day to day activities. This includes the civil services.
b. Revenue: Government cannot function effectively without fund. Therefore it requires revenue to execute it programmes functions.
3. Welfare Services: Another attribute of government is the provision of social service to citizens which improves the standard of living. Examples: Good schools, pipe borne water, electricity, health centres etc.
4. Change: Government is periodic. A particular government last for a defined period of time and this is seen in a democratic state where the people vote for the leader.
Functions Of Government
1. Law Making: It is the duty of the government to make and execute law in the state. The organ responsible for this is the legislative.
2. Maintenance Of Law And Order: The get established and equip standard armed force to defend the country from external and internal aggression and to maintain the territorial integrity of the state.
3. Provisions Of Social Services: The government provide social amenities such as good roads, electricity, pipe-borne water, hospitals etc to the citizens. While the citizens pay tax to support them in providing these amenities.
4. Political Functions: They also perform political function which include: condition of periodic free and fair election, to ensure peaceful change of government.
5. Economic Functions: Government regulates economic activities in order to protect the domestic economy, ensure economic growth and development through the maintenance of state security atmosphere which encourages investors.