Table Of Contents
1. Meaning Of Constitutionalism
2. Features Of Constitutionalism
3. Relationship Between Constitution And Constitutionalism
Meaning Of Constitutionalism
Constitutionalism is based on the belief that the powers should be defined and regulated by the constitution so that those who govern the society do that so without denying or violating human dignity. This shows that limitation are placed in the performance or their functions and must be in accordance with the provision of the constitution. Also constitutionalism checks and sets limits not only to the actions of government, In the performance of their functions. Also these organs should abides by the provisions of the constitution.
Constitutionalism checks and sets limits not only to the actions of the people making up the political systems.
Features Of Constitutionalism
1. Equality Before The Laws: It stresses the fact that nobody, no matter how highly placed or class he is, that nobody is above the laws of the land.
2. Limitation In The Exercise Of Function: The activities of those who governs should not be absolute, Limitation is placed on the exercise of their functions by the constitution.
3. Enforcement Of The Peoples Right: This principles states that only the constitutional courts, E.g High courts, Appeal Courts.
4. Right To Vote And Contest Elections: Every adults according to this principles has the right to vote and be voted for at any political elections.
5. Fundamental Human Rights: The principles of constitutionalism enhances the protection of the peoples fundamental rights for example, right to vote, freedom of speech etc.
Relationship Between Constitution And Constitutionalism
Constitution is a body of agreed rules and principles defining how the powers of governing a country are given. The principles of constitutionalism states that the powers of the various organs should be defined and limitation placed in the performance of their functions. Also these organs should abide by the provisions of checks and sets limits to the actions of the citizens on stresses their need for the protection of their law enforcement of these rights etc.
All that constitutionalism stressing are entrenched in the constitution.