Meaning Of NGOs
These are bodies set up by private agencies to develop agriculture all over the world. They are independent of Government.
Importance Of Non-Governmental Organizations In Agricultural Development
1) They sponsor research institutes to enhance the productivity of the farmers.
2) They provides chemicals such as herbicides, pesticides, insecticides, etc for control of weeds and insects.
3) Basic amenities such as water, feeders, roads, health centers are provided for the rural people by the NGOs.
4) They carry out research to improve or develop breeds of animals.
5) Extension projects are founded and funded by them.
Non-Governmental Organizations Involved In Improving Agricultural-Development
The NGO’s involved in Agric-Development Are As Follows:
1) International Institute For Tropical Agriculture (IITA).
2) West African Rice Development Agency (WARDA).
3) International Crop Research Institution For Semi Arid Tropic (ICRISAT).
4) International Livestock Centre For Africa (ILCA).
5. International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI).
6. Food and Agricultural Organisation (FAO).
7. Farmers Co-operatives.
8. World Vision International (In Ghana).
9. Hunger Project (In Ghana).
10. Adventist Relief Agency (Both In Ghana And Gambia).
11. Catholic Relief Services (In Gambia).
12. International Fund For Agricultural Development (IFAD).
Roles Of Non-Governmental Organizations To Agricultural Development In West Africa
1) They assist in rural development by providing social amenities like road, water supplies, health centres etc.
2) They carry out research to improve or develop breeds of animals.
3) They carry out research to improve or develop new crop varieties.
4. Provision of financial supports or funding for Agricultural extension projects.
5. Improvement of farmers awareness and agricultural knowledge.
6. They carry out socio-Economic research to understand the peasant farmers with a view to assisting them.
7. The fund research for better farming method and also develop farm implements.
8. They also help to control weeds, pest and disease causing organisms by providing the necessary chemicals.
Agricultural Research Institutes In Nigeria
1) National Cereal Research Institutes (NCRI).
2) Cocoa Research Institutes Of Nigeria (CRIN), Ibadan.
3) National Institutes For Typanosomiasis Research (NITR).
4) Nigeria Institute For Oil Palm Research (NIOPR), Ibadan.
5) National Horticulture Research Institute (NHRI).
6) Rubber Research Institute Of Nigeria (RRIN), Benin.
7) National Root Crops Research Institutes, Umudike.
8) Forest Research Institutes Of Nigeria (FRIN).
9. National Institutes For Oceanography and Marine Research.
10. National Vertinary Research Institute (NVRI).
11. International Institute Of Tropical Agriculture (IITA).
12. Lake Chad Research Institute, Maiduguri.
13. Leather Research Institute Of Nigeria, Zaria.
14. Nigeria Stored Products Research Institute.