Plantain is a food crop that can be grown and processed profitably in Ghana.
Plantain is a major source of food in many regions throughout Ghana.
Study shows that the production of plantain is over 20 million metric tones per year.
Despite this figure, demand still outstrips supply.
That is why we want to put you through on what it takes to start a plantain flour mill so that you can tap from this opportunity.
Plantain can either be used for domestic consumption or used as input by other producers.
For instance, plantain can be processed into chips or flour and sold locally or export abroad.
Plantain flour has now become a popular food today in both local and international market.
Plantain is the major raw material for plantain flour production, and it is available all year round in commercial quantities in many parts of Ghana.
Ghana is said to be one of the producer of plantain in West Africa.
The processing line for plantain flour production is as
1. Sorting: This involves inspection of plantain fingers to
identify and remove unsuitable ones i.e. spoilt, immature
2. Weighing: The sorted plantains are properly weighed to
quantify input of the raw plantain.
3. Blanching: The green plantain fruits are soaked in hot
water for some minutes to soften the skin for easy peeling.
4. Peeling: The plantain peels are removed manually using
sharp knives to obtain the pulp.
5. Slicing/Chipping: The pulp is sliced or chipped with the
aid of a mechanical slicer.
6. Drying: The sliced plantain is dried in a short time with
the aid of an industrial drying machine.
7. Milling: The dried plantain slices/chips are milled in a
8. Sieving: The flour is sieved to obtain the desire particle
9. Packaging: The flour is packaged in moisture proof
packaging material ready for sale.
Now, if you operate a plantain flour mill that has the
capacity to process 1tone of plantain flour per day, and you
implement a good and efficient marketing strategy.