Table Of Contents
- Definition Of Staff Training
- The Importance Of Training
- Levels Of Training In An Organization
Meaning Of Staff Training
Training is the process of bring about competence of individual members of staff up to the desired standard in the acquisition of skill, knowledge and attitude required to carry out various specialized tasks of an organization. It is a preparation for a particular job. It is concerned with job performance and the application of knowledge and skill to do the work.
The Importance Of Training
1. To improve efficiency and morale of staff.
2. To introduce new technique to organization.
3. To provide a succession of qualified staff.
4. To raise the standard of unskilled personnel and thus helping to overcome labour shortages.
5. To develop supervisors and decrease the amount of supervision needed.
6. To increase the value of the employees to the organization and prepare them for promotion.
7. Continuous training helps managers to develop the ability to learn how to adapt themselves to new methods, how to use new techniques and equipment and how to adjust to major changes in the job content and work relationships.
Levels Of Training In An Organization
1. Induction Training
Induction training is a method of introducing new staff to an organization to familiarize them with its policies and objectives, the importance of each department in an organization and the position of new staff to the organization.
There are points to be covered during induction; The history, the structure, Welfare services available, Grievances procedure, Union activities, the committees available; and Tour of the organization, as earlier explained.
2. On-The-Job Training (OJT)
This means training while still on the job. It consists of a combination of skills and knowledge required to perform duties required by the organization. It may involve job rotation and demonstration from experts within the organization to equip and to enhance the overall on-the-job-performance of the staff.
3. Supervisory Training
This type of training is provided for potential foremen, charge-hand and other supervisory grades. Supervisory training is designed to enable the worker to be able to interprete and implement management policies more effectively. The supervisory training may entail courses in job relations, job instructions, job methods and job safety and basic principles of supervision to enable the individual develop the right attitude to work. The supervisory training scheme may be planned with the following objectives:
1. To enable the trainee fully appreciate the work and probkems peculiar to the departments.
2. To enable him to appreciate the function of department vise-visa other departments.
3. To give a complete understanding of, and practical experience in, the methods used in controlling the department which is being supervised.
4. Supervisory training is aimed at training supervisor on how to control and supervise job in an organization.
4. Executive Development
This is the development of experienced or top level manager for greater responsibility or the development of matured seasoned men who have attained position of responsibility in specific functions in the organization. This is to enable them possess the necessary scope of management skill demanded. Executive development programme include techniques of management and the development of personal abilities.
5. Management Training
Management Training is a training designed for successful graduate and student apprentice to broaden their knowledge. It is designed to give a final “polish” to the potential managers through the development of their social skill. The objective of management training would include:
1. To broaden the knowledge of participant in all the facets of the company operation and field of general management.
2. To develop their intellectual skill and encourage them in the use of the modern techniques of decision making and problem solving.
6. Training Of Specific Skill
The more office work is complex and mechanized the more the need to specialize and this calls for training for specific skills.
For example, Adding and calculating machine also require specialist operator and also the use of computer has given rise to the need for training in specific field of computer services and related course. Due to rapid changes and complexity in modern technology, the demand for training in certain basic skills has increased.