In a situation where people are gathered to listen to someone speak, the essence of’ their coming together, may be to acquire knowledge or to find fault with the issues raised. If this were to be done properly, there is need for them to put down exactly what they have heard the speaker say which they may take home or may capitalise on the fault of the speaker. When the information is put down on paper, the writer is involved in note taking.
On the other hand, when the information gathered are taken home and the listener goes ahead to consult books with points relevant to the lecture given, and actually expands the jolted. He is involved in note making.
Why Take Or Make Notes?
Note taking and note making are both done for various reasons which include:
1. A listener to a lecture or speech, can take down the important points he gathered from what has been said, so as to expand the scope of the subject matter; This is mostly done by real scholars.
2. Notes are also taken or made so that one has materials to fall back on, when there is the inability by the brain to recall what has been heard or read.
3. Note taking or making helps an individual to be precise in what he is learning.
4. It is necessary to take or make notes so that one has a clear picture of the subject matter. This of course cannot be achieved if the person involved does not take time to organise his work properly.
To come up with a good note, one has to be in tune before the teacher that is to say to be prepared, in body and soul, one also has to listen to and understand what has been said before taking it down. There has to be consistency in the jotter or note pad used for a particular subjects as this will make for continuity.
Ways And Methods Of Note Making
1. Informal: Which takes the form of note taking but has a lot more information than is seen in not taking. Informal note making, is more or less putting down the exact words of the speaker from the beginning to the end of the lecture.
Some people are so used to this informal note making that they go ahead to indicate even where a lecturer coughs. This should not be if the note were to be meaningful.
2. Formal: When topics for research are given and text books are consulted, the information gathered are compiled for a nore lasting purpose in the form of binding the finished work. The work done in this way fall into the formal note making device.
Here, texts referred to are laid out in the references or the bibliography. Quotations are strictly indicated as such and not written as if they were the original words of the researcher.