Topic: Food Purchasing, Processing, Preservation And Safety
- Meaning Of Food Purchasing
- Meaning Of Food Processing
- Meaning Of Food Preservation
- Meaning Of Food Safety
At the end of this article, readers should be able to:
1. Explain food purchasing
2. Explain food processing
3. Explain food preservation
4. Explain food safety
Meaning Of Food Purchasing, Processing, Preservation And Safety
1. Food Purchasing: This is the process or procurement of food by means of a financial transaction. Food purchasing is to obtain food in exchange for money or it’s equivalence; to buy food, food maybe purchased in raw, cooked or processed forms.
2. Food Processing: This is the transformation of raw ingredients, by physical or chemical means into other forms of the food. It involves activities such as mincing, liquefaction, emulsification, cooking (such as boiling, broiling, grilling), pickling and preservation, canning or jaring. These activities or combination thereof, result in the manufacture of ready-to-cook or precooked food products like confectionery, instant foods, flavored and health drinks, pickles, jams, canned foods, purees, jellies, powders and mixes, sauced, etc.
3. Food Preservation: This involves preventing the growth of bacteria, fungi (such as yeast) or any other micro-organisms, as well as retarding the oxidation of fats that cause rancidity (spoilage of fat). Food preservation can also include processes that inhibit visual deterioration, such as the enzzymatic browning (reaction in apples after they are cut), which can occur during food preparation.
4. Food Safety: Food safety is a scientific discipline describing handling, preparation and storage of food in ways that prevent food-borne illness. It involves a number of routines that should be followed to avoid potentially severe health hazards. Food safetu goes through the processes:
1. Prevent contamination of food with pathogens which can spread from people, pets, and pest.
2. Seperate raw and cooked foods to prevent contaminating the cooked foods.
3. Cook foods for the appropriate length of time and at the appropriate temperature to kill pathogens.
4. Store food at the proper temperature.
5. Use safe water and cooking materials.