Snail farming in Mozambique is said to be one of the most lucrative agricultural business you can start with little capital.
But still, it is one of the most ignored animal rearing business in this country Mozambique and other African Countries.
Snail farming provides one of the profitable opportunity to make money within a short period of time.
But why are Mozambicans & Africans not yet fully engaged in this money making snail rearing business? The reason is ignorance.
Snail farming in Mozambique requires low capital and the working capital may be very little, compare to other Animal rearing business.
Therefore, snail farming business in Mozambique is a type or kind of agricultural venture that if one invest in it carefully, he/she would make a lot of profits.
You should Know that the demand for snail is very high in Mozambique as such the market potential of snail is inexhaustible, domestically and internationally.
For thousands of years ago till date, Africa’s appetite for snails has been served through traditional means mostly handpicked from the bush (usually in the dead of the night) have been the only way to get snails to the market and dinner table.
Snail farming which is also known as “heliculture” is not highly considered here in Mozambique and put into consideration as how it is been done in other countries.
In European and American Countries, snail farming is a big business, providing Great opportunities to many farmers.
Benefits of snail farming in Mozambique
1. It is very easy to run.
2. It is very lucrative and profitable.
3. It is environmental friendly.
4. They are highly productive.
5. Snails are Low in fat and cholesterol.
6. Snails are Highly medicinal and used for health related products.
7. It Has traditional healing benefits.
8. A good export opportunity.
9. They contains iron, vitamin A, calcium, magnesium and has very low fat.
Species of snails reared in Mozambique
There are three main types of snails used in Snail Rearing in Mozambique and other countries.
1. Achatina Marginata (AM):
This is a species of air-breathing tropical land snail,
The fleshy part is usually dark brown in color; the shell is blunt and less pointed at the tail end but roundunlike the other two species.
Achatina Marginata snail specie, is the biggest of the three species, andsells vert fast in the market.
Achatina Marginata is most sought for specie in Mozambique. It has market acceptability more than the other two species.
2. Achatina Achatina (AA):
Achatina Achatina is commonly know as the Giant Mozambique snail or Giant tiger land snail, It has a tiger patterned shell. It survives in a more humid environment unlike the A specie.
Achatina Achatina is the mostpreferable/desirable for farmers because it grows so big to become thebiggest snail species in the world. they possess both the female and male reproductive organs.
3. Achatina Fulica (AF):
It is the smallest in size among all the preferable species for snail rearing in Mozambique & Africa.
The Achatina Fulica snail is also known as the Garden Snail.
The tail end is unusually sharp just like the Achatina Achatina.
It has little market patronage in Mozambique because of their small sizes.
How To Set Up a Snail Farming Business
1. Secure an environment Suitable for Snail Rearing.
2. Consider The Type Of Soil for snail farming, The most preferable soil for snail is sandy-loamy soil with little water holding capacity.
Clayey soil and acidic soil should be avoided.
3. Build the snail house.
4. Get your Sails For Farming.
5. Purchase your Snail Food and Feeding or You can look for foods around your environment.
6. Harvest your snail when they are matured.
7. Market your snails to market women, shops, restaurants, hotels or interested buyers.
How To Succeed Faster In Mozambique On Snail Farming
1. You Have To Be Determine: Every business has challenges, So you have to be determined to succeed.
2. Have a Business Plan: For setting up a snail farming in Mozambique, You need to have a business plan.
Every successful business requires a successful plan and Good strategies.
3. Be Accountable
Requirements Needed To Start a Snail Farming
1. Little Capital
2. Suitable Environment
3. Well constructed snail cage
4. Marketing strategies/plans
You can start small and Grow Big, It is a very lucrative business to venture in…
However, we advise you to venture into this business.