Are you interested in starting a dairy farm in Ghana? Do you need information about dairy farming in Ghana? If YES, Then this article will give out all you need to know about dairy farming.
What Is Dairy Farming:
Dairy farming is a type of Agriculture which involves farming to produce milk from mammals like cows, goats, sheep’s, camels etc. This milk can also be used to produce dairy products like cheese, butter, ice creams, etc.
Dairy farming in Ghana is very profitable, you rear the mammals for the purpose of milk production. This business is not that popular but it is one of the lucrative agricultural business in Ghana. Milk products are very high in demand because it is loved by Ghanaians. Dairy farming in Ghana needs investors, entrepreneurs, & starters.
Dairy farming is capital intensive and it requires much time, money and commitment, Without getting yourself prepared you can’t start this business. The most important thing you need to know before starting a dairy farming in Ghana is to be experienced, trained and knowledgeable about the business.
Problems And Challenges Of Dairy Farming In Ghana
1. Lack of finance.
2. Illiteracy among the dairy farmers ( Not having a good business plan and lack of research).
4. Reduced productivity.
Importance Of Dairy Farming In Ghana
1. Dairy farming has create employment opportunities among Ghanaians.
2. It is 100% guarantee to generate income to farmers.
3. It contributes to the economic development of the country.
4. Dairy farming is a lucrative business and it’s products are in high demand.
5. Dairy products has lots of health benefits to both young and adults.
How To Start A Dairy Farming In Ghana
Do you know that you can make full income through dairy farming? Here are step by step guide on how to start a dairy farming in Ghana;
1) Good Business Plan: A good business plan is the first thing to consider for your business. The business plan should consist; Your aim, goals, targets, marketing plan, and strategies on how to run your business successfully. At this process you just need to interact with other dairy farmers to get more info on what you need to implement and add to your business plan.
2) Housing: This step will involve the construction of the dairy farm house. The housing should have enough space for comfortable movement of the mammals. It should be free from rain & sun. Consult a professional builder for the housing project, and also ensure proper fencing for protection.
3) Buying The Cattles: Purchase the Cattles needed for the dairy farm. The best cow breeds are: Boran, Friessian, Ayrshire, Guernsey, Bunaji, etc. Ensure that the females are higher in number than the male’s.
4) Feeding Requirement: Consider your cattle feed. There should be proper feeding of the cows at least twice a day. They are herbivores. Don’t only feed them with grasses, but other food supplements for their feedings
5) Purchase The Needed Equipments: Buy the necessary equipment needed in dairy farming. Some of the equipments are: Cow mat, dairy ventilation fan, milking machine, plastic milk cans, calf cage, feed mill, fooder mill, water tankers, etc.
6) Taking Care Of Your Cattles: It is very important to take care of your mammals once you purchase them. For you to raise your Cattles, it requires that you take good care of them. Supply clean water for your Cattles and also involve livestock veterinarian for the Cattles well-being. And lastly don’t treat your Cattles in a violent manner, instead treat them gently; this can help in good productivity.
7) Marketing: Once is time for milk production, you can use a milking machine for the milk production. Market the milks to interested consumers And also involve in online marketing.
Dairy farming business in Ghana is a lucrative venture for Ghanaians. Many don’t know that Profitability involved in dairy business. This business is not that saturated, why not consider doing this business? Dairy farming is capital intensive with lots of challenges and profits, Most farmers are making it on a daily basis. Just follow the right guide and get started.