Do you know that maize production in Ethiopia is very lucrative? In this article, we will provide the needed information about starting a maize production business, uses of maize, importance of maize production, challenges and the Profitability of maize production.
Maize production is a good opportunity for Ethiopians who wants to make money farming. Maize is very common & popular And it is being prepared & eaten by average Ethiopians. Entrepreneurs, Investors or Ethiopians can make good amount of money through commercial maize farming in Ethiopia.
Although Ethiopia produces thousand tons of maize each year, they still spends $millions of dollar importing maize abroad, As the population of Ethiopia is increasing, So as the consumption & demand of maize will also be increasing.
How Lucrative Is Maize Farming In Ethiopia?
Maize farming in Ethiopia is very lucrative; There is great return on investment in maize planting. Do you know that one seed can give you over 500 kernels during harvest, That is to tell you how Profitable maize farming is. Maize plants matured very fast (Just within 3 to 4 months), And during its season it sells very fast, There is huge market demands involves in maize production both local markets and individuals.
Maize Varieties In Ethiopia
There are different types of maize varieties, And here are the most used varieties in Ethiopia;
A. Dent corn
B. Flint corn
C. Waxy corn
Dent corn are the yellow varieties and waxy corn are the whitish varieties. The most used maize varieties in Ethiopia are the dent corn and waxy corn.
Uses And Importance Of Maize
A. Maize is used as a livestock feed.
B. Maize is an important source of protein, carbohydrates, iron, and minerals.
C. It can be used for biofuel production.
D. Maize can be used for production of edible oil for domestic uses.
E. Production of start for industries (especially textile).
Factors Affecting And Challenges Of Maize Production In Ethiopia
Here are the list of problems facing maize farming in Ethiopia;
A. Pest and Disease.
B. Poor storage facilities.
C. Fluctuation Of Prices.
D. Climatic conditions.
E. Poor/Unhealthy seeds.
F. High cost of farm inputs.
HOW TO START A MAIZE PRODUCTION BUSINESS IN ETHIOPIA
(1) Buy Or Rent A Farmland: The first thing to consider before starting a maize farming is land, Ensure that the land is fertile (rich loamy or sandy-loam soil), the land should not be waterlogged (protect your crops from waterlogging), The land should be free and opened for sunlight. Once you get the land, clear and till the land well to avoid weed competing with the maize.
(2) Maize Varieties: Maize has different varieties and you should choose based on preferred and accepted varieties within your area. The white and the yellow varieties are the most common varieties used in Ethiopia, and these varieties grows and matures very fast. Buy the seeds from rightful source.
(3) Planting: There is a traditional belied which states that maize should be planted during the rainy season. Everything has been changing as we are in modern age. There is no actual date to plant maize. Just plant your varieties after it had rained for 3 to 4 times, It will soften the land and helps the seeds to germinate & grow well.
(4) Caring For Your Maize Plant: Weed your farm when needed, Prevent pests and diseases with pesticides and other control methods. You should know that maize doesn’t require much watering. Apply fertilizer after 3 to 4 weeks of planting.
(5) Harvesting: Harvest once matured. They can be harvested either on green or dry. It takes 3 to 4 months to mature depending on the maize variety and climatic condition.
If you are looking for agribusiness to invest in, then consider maize farming business. Maize production in Ethiopia is very Profitable and we believe this information we shared will yield lots of productivity to aspiring entrepreneurs.