Exercises are very important for body fitness. There are many types of exercises. Some can be focused on certain parts of the bosy, such as waist, arms and abdomen. Examples of exercises are jumping, running, walking, dancing, swimming, playing games like football, etc. There are guidelines for exercising the body. Some people use drugs in exercise and sports. This is to be discouraged.
Meaning Of Exercise
Exercise is the act of making the body perform some activities. Because the human body is designed for movement, it needs regular exercise.
Importance Of Exercises
There are many reasons why exercise is important. These reasons are:
1. It increases the flow of blood to the muscles.
2. It makes the muscles strong, firm, and healthy. That is, it improves muscle tone.
3. It makes the sweat glands of the skin more active. This results in the production of more sweat with waste materials.
4. It helps the body to excrete wastes.
5. It helps the whole body to keep fit and healthy.
6. During an exercise the lungs become more active, breathing is deeper and air in the lung is changed more often.
7. Exercises aid digestion and prevent constipation.
8. Some over-weight persons can shade off excess weight through routine exercises.
9. Exercise stimulates the appetite.
11. It helps to release built-up tension.
12. It makes for more strength, endurance and greater agility.
13. Flow of energy to the body is increased.
14. It also refreshes the brain through increased blood circulation.
15. Bones can absorb minerals more easily. Risk of bone disease is reduced.
16. The risk of heart disease is reduced as cholesterol level can be lowered.
17. Blood pressure can stay within the normal range.
18. They help to prevent muscle injuries during exercises.
Different Types Of Exercises
Three types of exercise can help you achieve fitness. These are as follows:
1. Strengthening Exercises: These help to build strong muscles. The muscle strength is measured by the amount of work your muscle can do at one time. Examples of strengthening exercises are weight-lifting, push-up and sit-up.
2. Aerobic Exercises: These are exercises which improve the efficiency of your heart and lungs. They increase the intake of oxygen into the body. They also increase the rate at which the body usese energy, even when the person is at rest. Examples of aerobic exercises are walking, running, bicycling and swimming.
3. Stretching Exercises: These help to promote flexibility. Such exercises help in many sports and in dance. Examples are exercises targeted at specific muscle groups such as arms, legs, and abdomen.
Guidelines For Exercising The Body
1. Build your exercise routine around activities you enjoy.
2. Exercise regularly.
3. Exercise 20 to 30 minutes a day.
4. Exercise daily or at least 3 to 5 times a week.
5. You can work exercise into your day to day routine in several ways.
6. Set aside time for exercise.
7. Before you begin any exercise programme, check with your doctor to make sure the routine you have chosen is safe for you.
8. Each workout should begin with warm-up activities, such as walking followed by gentle stretching.
9. Have a cool-down period after exercise with slower movements and additional stretching. These still help prevent muscle cramps and soreness.
10. Never use drugs for exercises and sports.
Using Drugs In Exercises And Sports
Drugs refer to many different kinds of substances, from medicines to illegal marijuana, crack and heroin. Alcohol, tobacco, kola nuts are also drugs. All of these substances are bad for your health. Their continued use can lead to addiction.
Addiction is a physical and mental dependence on continued use of a drug.
Some people take drugs to help them in exercises and sports. This is a very bad practice.
Disadvantages Of Using Drugs In Exercise And Sports
1. It can lead to physical break down.
2. It can cause emotional and mental disorder.
3. It can lead to anti-social behaviours.
4. Drug users can develop other severe health problems.
5. They can behave in odd and dangerous ways.
6. They cheat other contestants as the drugs can enhance their performance in sports.
7. They can die from poor drug habits.
8. They are law breakers, for possessing drugs is illegal.
9. Use of drugs in sports can destroy the career of an athlete.
Guidelines For Preventing Drug Addiction
1. Take only drugs that are prescribed by a doctor.
2. Follow the pharmacist’s/doctor’s
3. Choose friends who have also decided to remain drug free.
4. Avoid people who want to see or give you drugs.
5. Always say no to anybody who tempts you with drugs.
6. Avoid self-medication.
7. Never start using drugs. This is the best way to avoid the problem.