Tables Of Contents
1. Meaning Of Contentment
2. Attributes Of Contentment
3. Effects Of Lack Of Contentment
Meaning Of Contentment
Contentment is an attribute of the mind which makes a person to be satisfied with he/she has, and to live within that means. It is a feeling of acceptance of one’s condition which may not be good, but which cannot be easily changed. A poor student lives within the means provided by parents. He is not distracted by the affluence of neighbours. He does not takes to lifestyle beyond his means and capability. The spirit of contentment makes a student from poor parental background to be satisfied with the little his parent provide and to complete favourably with student from richer background, in by all citizens.
However, contentment does not mean that an individual one’s situation and feel happy and satisfied, even when one can work hard, to change it for the better.
Attributes Of Contentment
A contented person is satisfied with what he has, no matter what obtain around. A good child would like to live within the means of his parents. He should be satisfied to get on, even in the face of difficulties or deprivations.
2. Lack Of Envy:
A contented person does not envy others, because he is satisfied with what he has. He does not jealous other person who are better off.
3. Abhorrence Of Greed And corruption:
To abhor is to hate something because it is bad. A contented man is not greedy. He does not steal or cheat people in order to be great or rich. He shuns all form of corrupt practices.
He is humble and level headed, i.e, he is not full of himself. He respect other people’s status and achievement. He does not also lose his head because of his success.
Effects Of Lack Of Contentment On Society
Lack of contentment among citizens is an “I’ll wind that blows the society no good”.
1. It promote the culture of greed, cheating and other social vices like examination malpractice, fraud and embezzlement of public funds.
2. It promote corruption and the get-rich-quick style of life. It makes those entrusted with leadership to embezzle public funds meant for community development.
3. It promote criminal engagement ad individual to go into all forms of activities such as human trafficking, drug trafficking, and armed robbery to make money.
4. It encourage domination of immorality as young girls and woman get involved in prostitution to make money.
5. It encourages domination of individuals over others and group over their fellows, to gain unmerited advantage. This is the root cause of ethnicity in Nigeria. The major ethnic group in Nigeria should live and let others live. The wealth of the nation, including employment opportunities and resources should be evenly distributed, in the interest of peace.