Meaning Of Civic Education
The word “civic” is a Greek word which implies citizens of a city or an area. This then means, that civic education is a resolve of careful decision of the government to lead its citizens in different geographical and political communities to acquire some kinds of knowledge, facts, skills, abilities, values, virtues, attitudes and behaviours that are acceptable in society and useful in building a balanced and great nation.
Civic education by way of definition, is that form of education which is primarily designed and organized in content and function so as to produce good and useful people who know what events happen within the country and globally. The main aim of civic education is to develop and change young people into effective, responsible, good and well informed people, who are active and productive in the society. The essence of civic education is to make one a good citizen of one’s country.
Civic education is the education that aims at inculcating moral values, skills and attitudes in an individual with the desire or consciousness to use their abilities to solve developmental challenges facing a nation. Furthermore, it is that study which instils in the individuals mind the consciousness which fosters nation building through honesty, patriotic zeal, unity of purpose, economic freedom and political participation.
Why Civic Education Is A Core Compulsory Subject
Civic education is so relevant in our national life today that it has formed the core of our national character moulding the essence of education. It would remain so due to the following reasons:
1. It is the means through which citizens are liberated from ignorance and equipped with needed skills, political, economic, social and administrative consciousness which is necessary to facilitate and maintain national consciousness.
2. It develops in the citizens good values, patriotism and provokes in them the resolve to become good citizens.
3. It enlightens, educates and helps in individual intellectual development.
4. Civic education is essential for the existence and sustenance of democracy since it teaches the citizens the basic tenets of democratic process, principles, practices and fosters in them the zeal to participate in the political process.
5. It encourages the youth to be patriotic and nationalistic in words and in deeds.
6. It emphasizes the need to be law abiding and keep a peaceful nation.
7. With the knowledge of civic education, governance is made much easier.
8. With it, effective and proactive leaders are produced. It is a training platform for good and patriotic future leaders in many sphere of human Endeavour.
9. It expresses and addresses problems militating against good governance in Nigeria. Some of them are: neo-colonialism, violence, ethnic hostility, corruption, illiteracy, greed, drug and human trafficking and proffers solutions aimed at tackling them.
10. It enables the citizens to know what duties and obligations they owe to the state and what state owes the citizens.
Meaning Of Civic Education