Topic: Basic Pattern Drafting Techniques And Fashion Designing
- Meaning Of Basic Pattern Drafting And Fashion Designing
- Advantages Of Using Pattern In Garment Making
- Basic Drafting Tools And Equipment
At the end of this article, readers should be able to:
1. List tools and equipment for pattern drafting
2. Define pattern drafting
3. State the advantages of using patterns in garment making
4. Outline basic pattern drafting tools and equipment.
Basic Pattern Drafting And Fashion Designing
It is important to state the meaning of pattern. Pattern refers to the plan of a garment which shows the shape of garment’s pieces and gives indication on how to stitch garment pieces together. It summary, pattern is a paper or cardboard template from which the parts of a garment are traced onto fabric before cutting out and assembling. Pattern is used as a guide when cutting fabric for garment making.
Pattern Drafting: Is a method of obtaining pattern by working from a measurement of a figure according to set of instructions. The instructions are interpreted into drawings or shapes on paper which is used for garment construction or making. The process of pattern drafting involves use of a set of measurement obtained from a figure, following a set of guided instructions. Apart from pattern drafting method, there are other methods of producing or developing pattern which include: modeling, knock-off design, modifying from a set of pattern, computer-aided design among others.
Advantages Of Using Pattern In Garment Making:
1. It saves time (especially if garment will be mass produced).
2. It reduces fabric waste.
3. It provides correct fit to the body.
4. With pattern it is not difficult to cut complicated styles of garment.
5. Pattern provides record of used styles which can be reproduced when needed.
6. Pattern can be graded into different sizes.
7. It is very helpful when garment is to be mass produced.
Meaning Of Fashion Designing: It is the art of creating and sketching garment style on paper. A person who specializes in fashion designing is knowm as a Fashion Designer.
Hence, a fashion designer is the creative mind behind anu item of clothing. They create a visual image of their concept through sketches to show the garment style they have in mind. They are the brain behind any garment produced. In fact, a fashion designer sees the finished garment in his/her mind then document or represents it on paper and often times produces it into garment. A fashion designer may or may not be a tailor.
Tailor: A tailor is one who makes, repairs, or alters garment professionally. A tailor is a true master or architect of clothing.
Basic Drafting Tools And Equipment
Well and appropriate selected pattern drafting tools and equipment are necessary for pattern drafting. Most importantly, it is necessary to have a box or kit for keeping the drafting tools.
The drafting tools and equipment are as follows:
1. Measuring Tape: Smooth measuring tape is required which is marked with increments of inches and centimeters on it’s sides.
2. Scissors: They are used for cutting out pattern pieces. Small to medium sized scissors are required.
3. Square: It is an L-shaped metal ruler; the long arm measures 24 inches and the short arm 14 inches. It has a perfect right angles comer. It is used to draw lines at right angles during drafting.
4. Tracing Wheel: It is used to transfer pattern marking into paper and fabric.
5. Carbon Paper: It is used to transfer pattern markings.
6. Brown Paper: Brown paper is used for drafting out pattern pieces.
7. Cardboard Paper: It is used for drafting out the patterns, especially the basic blocks or master patterns.
8. Pencils: It is used to draw out lines during drafting.
9. Tump Pins: It is used for pinning/holding brown or cardboard paper on the table during drafting.
10. French Curve: It is used for drawing curve line during drafting e.g. The neckline, armhole, skirt side seam.
11. Long And Short Rulers: They are used for drawing straight lines.
12. Eraser: It is used in cleaning wrong pencil marks on the drafting paper.
13. Cello Tape: It is used in joining drafting papers.
14. Paper Gum: It is used in joining drafting paper.
15. T-square: It is used in drawing right angles.